Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Alberto Gonzales Has Really Lame Stationery

Worse, though, is his grammar:

After much thought and consideration, I believe this is the right time for my family and I to begin a new chapter in our lives.

Ignoring, for a moment, the tired metaphor of life-as-a-book, we will point out that it should be for my family and me.

The easiest way to tell whether to use I or me is to drop the other object of the preposition. Would Gonzales say, "I believe this is the right time for I"?

Probably not. We hope not. We can't say for certain.

Perhaps instead of comparing his life to a book, he should read one. We have just the volume in mind. It comes out in May, 2008 from St. Martin's Press, and we just finished a draft last night... (insert celebratory squeal here). It's called "Things That Make Us [Sic]," and it's based on the work of SPOGG.

The Gonzales resignation letter

No comments: