Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A Writer After Our Own Heart

The writer/artist Catherine Cheek has this to say about sloppy language and what it means for us all:

Apostrophe's*

I went to the movies yesterday, and in the restroom there was a sign that read “Water Maybe hot”. It made me grit my teeth, but I didn’t say anything, because I know I’d be that girl, you know, the anal retentive one who always wants to speak to the manager about something.

Today I was at a grocery store and they’ve made their labels print out a little tag at the bottom that says “Thank’s from Fry’s” That one I couldn’t let go. I wrote them an email telling them that they ought to have their signage written by the educated, native English speakers on the staff, because bad grammar sends a negative impression. They’ll probably ignore it. If it were important to them, it wouldn’t have gone all the way to the printer and onto hundreds of packages of meat without anyone seeing fit to correct it.

And that’s what really bothers me the most. That using your language correctly is considered unimportant... (Read the rest of her post.)

A gold star for you, Ms. Cheek. Also, we really like your artwork.

No comments: