Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thinking about Valentine's Day?

Here's a love song card you can buy on Etsy. It's only $4, because unnecessary quotation marks make everything feel cheap. "Trust us."

What do you think they meant by "The Sweetest Thing"? We at SPOGG hope they mean kittens, or maybe candy, because anything more personal should never be printed on a card.

Oh, and about the proper use of quotation marks: They belong around direct quotes and words you are referring to as words themselves. For example, the "sweetest thing" in that poem couldn't possibly be a reference to the ability to achieve an orgasm. No one would be that gross.

Quotation marks are not to be used to highlight the adorableness of certain expressions. Nor are they to be used to show that you're kidding or being clever. Your writing has to be funny enough to stand without the air quotes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...I believe those are song titles. So don't they belong in quotes?!

Xavier Smith said...

I know that two of the quoted items are songs; I don't know about the rest.

And I know it's a love poem and all, but the whole thing is one ginormous cliché. How extremely sucky! (Disclaimer: My opinion of the suck factor of Valentine's Day might be a smidgen tainted, since I don't have a valentine this year.)

Anne said...

Yep, they're song titles.

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Yes, they're song titles, but it's still extremely cheesy to do this. It's like winking at someone to let them know you're making a joke. When you're talking about song titles as song titles, you put them in quotation marks (the same way you do when you're talking about words as words). But when you're inserting them as the creamy filler in your love note Twinkie, it's a bit much.

So sayeth SPOGG. But you don't have to do it "My Way."

Unknown said...

It's cheesy AND there's a typo in it. If you're going to charge money for your card, at least use spell check.

Peggy said...

Yes, I thougt about spelling thought right but decided, it was the sweetest thing just as it was.

Duh.

Curly-T said...

If a cd was included with the card that had those songs in that order, would the poem then be considered a song list? I suppose that would make the quotation marks even more unnecessary!

Anonymous said...

More importantly, the card is but, ugly!

Blech! Thank Eros my Cherub didn't buy it for me!

Andygirl said...

I think we're giving them too much credit. I think that, yes, they are that gross.

I am wondering about "no one in the world"??? Does that mean it's ironic? I don't even want to discuss how unromantic that is.

Mama Bee said...

But wait! It comes with an envelope! I don't know if I can "pass up" this "great deal".